Rawhide Safety – You Never Know …

Rawhide Safety

So even when you know better, accidents can happen. In a doggy gift bag we received at a recent dog event we worked, there was a rawhide bone, that apparently Leila got into without us knowing she had done so.

This morning she started choking, retching, and making a high-pitched breathing sound and was in considerable distress. I recognized what was going on since I had taken the PetTech first aide pet saver class, I called for help (Allen) and monitored Leila knowing she had the best chance of getting up whatever she was choking on, on her own. And was ready to jump in to render aid if she couldn’t and if her condition deteriorated.

The picture of the rawhide pieces is what came up and out. I was shocked to see how big the piece was that had been choking her, and also shocked to see she had gotten into the rawhide at all.

I should not have even brought the rawhide into the house, I knew better. It is so dangerous for dogs. Thought I’d share this lesson and reminder to get rid of any rawhide treats if you have dogs. I’m just thankful in this case everything turned out OK and Leila seems to be doing fine.

Valentine’s Day Pet Do’s and Don’ts from the Pet Poison Help Line

Do find safe gifts to show your pet Valentine’s Day love! 

A new collar, treats, or toys can all be great gifts for your pet on Valentine’s day.  Valentine’s Day can also be a great time to try a new dog or cat treat recipe or make a new toy.  If your pet is already swimming in toys and treats, consider giving toys, bedding, food, or a donation to an animal shelter or rescue group in your pet’s name.

Don’t forget that many pets appreciate the gift of time and love more than anything!

An extra walk and some extra time cuddling or playing cost nothing and will be greatly appreciated by your cat or dog.  The extra exercise and snuggle time is a healthy, happy choice for you as well.

Do be careful to keep Valentine’s gifts, foods, flowers, and drinks away from your pet’s reach!

Chocolate, flowers, candy, rich foods, and alcoholic drinks are common in our homes as we celebrate Valentine’s Day.  Dogs will readily ingest toxic amounts of chocolate, and keep us busy here at Pet Poison Helpline at this time of year.  If you have cats, please watch out for flower bouquets that include lilies, as lilies are very toxic to cats.  Rich foods can cause stomach upset and possibly pancreatitis when ingested by pets.  Pets can be sensitive to alcohol, so be certain to keep alcoholic drinks out of reach.  Also be careful with sugar-free foods that might contain xylitol, which can cause a dangerous drop in blood sugar when ingested by pets.

Don’t forget to share the love!

Valentine’s Day can be a lonely holiday for many people.  This could be a great time to visit an animal shelter and donate your time and attention to rescued pets.  While I do not recommend giving pets as gifts, if you are thinking about adding a furry friend to your household, Valentine’s Day could be a great time to adopt.  Maybe a visit with your pet could help brighten the day of someone you know who is unable to have their own dog or cat.  This could also be a great time to look into getting your dog certified as a Canine Good Citizen or therapy dog to help others.

Happy Valentine’s Day from Pet Poison Helpline!