Rawhide Safety – You Never Know …

Rawhide Safety

So even when you know better, accidents can happen. In a doggy gift bag we received at a recent dog event we worked, there was a rawhide bone, that apparently Leila got into without us knowing she had done so.

This morning she started choking, retching, and making a high-pitched breathing sound and was in considerable distress. I recognized what was going on since I had taken the PetTech first aide pet saver class, I called for help (Allen) and monitored Leila knowing she had the best chance of getting up whatever she was choking on, on her own. And was ready to jump in to render aid if she couldn’t and if her condition deteriorated.

The picture of the rawhide pieces is what came up and out. I was shocked to see how big the piece was that had been choking her, and also shocked to see she had gotten into the rawhide at all.

I should not have even brought the rawhide into the house, I knew better. It is so dangerous for dogs. Thought I’d share this lesson and reminder to get rid of any rawhide treats if you have dogs. I’m just thankful in this case everything turned out OK and Leila seems to be doing fine.